Yesterday, in Manchester, I launched the Labour Arts Alliance. You can read the press release below.
Shadow Culture Secretary Harriet Harman MP, launched Labour Arts Alliance this weekend at Labour’s conference in Manchester.
Labour Arts Alliance will make the case for the arts and campaign for the return of a Labour Government by:
- developing a national network of people in the arts and creative industries
- facilitating the sharing of objectives and best practice - devising a strategy for the growth of the sector
- contributing policy ideas for the 2015 manifesto and beyond.
Harriet Harman said
“It’s great to be launching Labour Arts Alliance here in Manchester, which is the centre of so much art and culture.
“The Arts are fundamental to what it is to be human. For each individual, for all our communities and for the British economy. That is why a future Labour Government would ensure the arts are for everyone, not just for some - with real focus on young people.
“Labour Arts Alliance will be an important new platform to bring together all those who care about the arts and who share our vision for a 21st century arts policy which delivers arts for all.”
1. For more information about Labour Arts Alliance, including supporters, policy and blogs www.labourartsalliance.org.uk Follow Labour Arts Alliance on twitter @labourarts
2. The Labour Arts Alliance Mission Statement may be found at www.labourartsalliance.org.uk/about
3. Harriet Harman MP, Shadow Culture Secretary was speaking at “Art makes Children Powerful”, a panel event on Young People and the Arts hosted by Home and Southbank Centre on Saturday 21 September at Number 1 First Street. It was attended by representatives of arts organisations and arts stakeholders. Other Panel members were: Dave Moutray, CEO, Home Jude Kelly OBE, Artistic Director, Southbank Centre Samuel West, Actor, Director and Chair of the National Campaign for the Arts Julie Ward MEP, member of the European Committee on Culture and Education Afreena Azaria, Contact Theatre Jorge Walsh, Filmmaker